With the arrival of summer, the travel season begins again. To make your life easier, Google offers its Google Map and Google Flights tools to plan and enjoy vacations with complete peace of mind. If Google Map helps you find the closest refueling point to your position in an unknown airport, Google Flight will allow you to take advantage of the best possible rate in a targeted period.
Google Maps is a simple service that lets you get route information and find businesses online. You can then zoom in using various viewing options, such as map or satellite
- Downloads: 7032
- Release date : 06/23/2022
- Author : Google LLC
- Licence : Free License
Leisure – Travel
- Operating system : Android – Online service All Internet browsers – iOS iPhone / iPad / Apple Watch
Here are 8 features offered by Google to make your life easier.
See the price of a flight for any scheduled departure date
On May 2, Google announced a new feature that will allow you to find the best deals for flights to your country. Now you can start tracking prices to find deals for any date, and Google will email you if it finds any prices lower than usual in the next three to six months.
All you need to do is access Google Flights on your browser and enter your destination. If you don’t have a specific date in mind for your trip, select ‘All Dates’ to find the best deal.
Navigate airports, malls and transit stations
If you need to quickly find a store in a major mall, Google Maps extends its Navigation tab to all airports, malls, and transit stations. This can come in handy when you have to run through the airport to find somewhere to eat or buy a last-minute souvenir before catching your flight.
The tab will tell you the opening hours of the destination and the floor it is on. You can check restaurants, shops, lounges and parking lots.
Browse Google Maps to find out if a place is very busy
Screenshot from Google Maps (made by us)
Google has added a new feature to the Google Maps traffic tool. You could already search for a place, for example a business, to see a graph showing the traffic in real time. Now, a new feature called Area Busyness lets you see when entire areas of the map are crowded with people.
To use this new feature, open the Google Maps app on your Android or iPhone (or computer browser) and pan around the map to find a general area, eg downtown, a river walk or a nearby picturesque town.
Crowd information is then automatically displayed on the map, so you don’t have to search specifically for a place to find out if it’s crowded. Google Maps may say something like “Highly traveled area” and give you more details by clicking on it.
Follow the route of your trip in Google Maps
Google Maps can track the route of your trip, but it can also quickly show you your flight, hotel, rental car, and restaurant reservations, so you don’t have to search through your emails for hours. registration and confirmation numbers.
To see your next bookings:
- In Google Maps, tap Saved in the bottom row of the menu.
- Tap Reservations. You’ll then see a list of upcoming bookings you’ve made that Maps pulled from Gmail emails.
- Select an item to learn more about the reservation, including date and location.
- You can also search “my reservations” in the Google Maps search box to view the list of reservations you have made.
Make a restaurant reservation directly in Google Maps
Hosting a party with a large group can be tedious, especially if you’re going at a busy time. Google Maps can help you make a lunch or dinner reservation. Here’s how.
- In Google Maps, tap the Restaurants button at the top of the map to view a list of places to eat.
- Select a restaurant that seems interesting to you and, in the window that appears, reserve a table or register on a waiting list, if this option is offered (this is not the case for all).
Remember that you can use the crowded feature mentioned above to pick the less crowded spot. Also note that some restaurants that are not open to customers may still allow delivery, curbside pickup or outdoor seating.
Use Google Maps offline
Screenshot from Google Maps (made by us)
Traveling to a remote location where you may not have a mobile network connection? Google Maps can still give you directions when you’re offline.
- Before you go, search Maps for where you want to get directions.
- Click on your profile at the top right then Offline plans
- “Select your own plan”, you just have to crop the area that interests you.
Now, when using Google Maps to get directions in the area you downloaded a map for, when you lose your cellular connection, Maps switches to the offline map to guide you. Please note that since you are offline, Maps will not be able to provide real-time traffic information.
Find electric vehicle charging stations and gas stations wherever you are.
If you plan to use an electric vehicle to run errands, dine out, or go on vacation, Google Maps can help you find EV charging stations along your route, as well as estimated wait times for a charging port. You can also filter your search by connector type, such as Chademo, CCS (Combo 1 or 2) and Tesla, so you only see stations compatible with your electric vehicle. Note that you can also search for gas stations by following the same instructions. (See our file on how to save on fuel).
- In Maps, scroll through the tabs at the top of the screen and tap More.
- Scroll down to the Services section and select EV Charging.
- Maps will show nearby charging stations and how many are available.
- Touch a charging station on the map to have Maps add it as a stop on your route.
You can also use this trick to find other places along your route, such as a cafe.
Share your location via Google Maps
Is there anything more frustrating during a group activity than seeing the group split up and no one being able to find each other? Google Maps can help you all find yourself together.
- In Google Maps, tap your profile icon in the top right corner and tap Location sharing.
- Tap Share location and select who you want to share your location with and for how long.
- Tap Share, and Google Maps will send your location to everyone you selected.
- If you want to see someone else’s location, tap that person’s icon at the top of the window, then tap Ask.
Also find our guide to useful applications for going on vacation.
CNET.com article adapted by CNETFrance.